Who We Are
KinShip is a Supervised Parenting Center focused on the prevention of child abuse and neglect while providing support, guidance and assistance to families who have experienced some type of trauma, such as divorce, abuse, domestic violence, neglect, separation or child custody issues.
We provide all services in a non-threatening homelike child-friendly environment,
our distinguishing characteristic among local agencies.
What Are the Benefits of Supervised Visitation?
For the Child
- It maintains the bond between child and non-custodial parent, generally found to be an important factor in the positive adjustment to family dissolution.
- When a child is removed from the home (or when a parent leaves the home), it is often a difficult and scary experience. Frequent visits provide a means for the parent and child to continue their relationship and for the parent to demonstrate continued love and trust.
- It allows the child to anticipate the visits without stressing over what is going to happen. They can to enjoy visits in a safe, comfortable environment without feeling put in the middle of their parents’ conflict and/or other problems.
- It provides reassurance to the child that the parent has not ‘disappeared’.
For the Custodial Parent
- You do not have to communicate or have contact with a person with whom you are in conflict or who frightens or intimidates you. Visitation arrangements can be made by a neutral party (the Kinship supervisor) and there does not have to be contact before, during, or after the visits.
- You can relax and feel comfortable allowing your child to have contact with the other parent. This gives you the opportunity to take some valuable time for yourself.
For the Non-Custodial Parent
- You can be sure that contact with your children is not interrupted regardless of any personal or interpersonal problems you may be experiencing.
- If allegations have been made against you in the past, often the case when supervision is ordered, you can visit without fear of any new accusations because a professional, neutral party is present to verify what happened during your visit.
- Frequent visits provide parents and children with motivation and hope.